Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Sports Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: world cup thread
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm 

Cash on hand:

losing with 1 minute left.

sucks.

they played a good game.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:41 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: United States of AmericaUnited States of America
i;ve stayed out of this thread because i know nothing about soccer other than i fucking hate it. But this shit has to be said, i can't wait for this workd cup to be over. i am sick of ESPN ramming down my throat, and local sports radio pretending like they give a fuck about it. NBA draft is tonight, lebron and melo are free agents, and i gotta hear about soccer all day long? fuck outta here with this shit.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:59 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

The World Cup has been pretty legit. Pretty good first half for the US. The only reason the draft is exciting is because of potential trades. I don't give a shit about 19 year old kids who couldn't even win in college getting drafted.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:01 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

i;ve stayed out of this thread because i know nothing about soccer other than i fucking hate it. But this shit has to be said, i can't wait for this workd cup to be over. i am sick of ESPN ramming down my throat, and local sports radio pretending like they give a fuck about it. NBA draft is tonight, lebron and melo are free agents, and i gotta hear about soccer all day long? fuck outta here with this shit.

Then don't watch. Turn on ESPNnews. Turn on another network. In short: get over it. The World Cup is awesome.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

If i could turn to a sports channel that didn;t have it, i fuckin would. if the talking heads on sports radio (which i listen to at work to get me through the day) would stop with the bullshit, i would be fine with it. but when that shitty ass sport that will NEVER EVER catch on in this country affects my daily life, thats when i get pissed!!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:33 pm 

Cash on hand:

us played another good game.

whole team seems tired though. dont like their chances of beating belgium (who has tons of world class players) on monday.

not that it needs to be said, but we miss ld, playing brad davis for a half is a joke.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:53 pm 

Cash on hand:

The world cup is awesome. There's nothing else going on in sports right now. No good fights for a while. Baseball still has about 200 games left and the drafts are overrated.

As far as USA vs Germany man what a bummer. USA played lousy other than 2-3 minutes. Playing defensively for a draw against the best team in the world just ain't gonna cut it. Fuck it though, their in where the majority of the world said they wouldnt be: the quarterfinals. They can beat Belgium as long as they play to their potential.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:55 pm 

Cash on hand:

Lol Uruguay is done withough Suarez. What a dumbass.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:20 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Bradley was awful. He cost us at least 3 scoring opportunities. Midfield defense was pretty lousy. Germany got out to some easy breaks. Overall the team just looked a little winded. It would be great to get Altidore back. Could he play Tuesday?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:23 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Also, the officiating was as bad as I've ever seen.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:04 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bradley was awful. He cost us at least 3 scoring opportunities. Midfield defense was pretty lousy. Germany got out to some easy breaks. Overall the team just looked a little winded. It would be great to get Altidore back. Could he play Tuesday?

he would help for sure. and if he is not healthy i think we should start wondoloski or johanson.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:16 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

If i could turn to a sports channel that didn;t have it, i fuckin would. if the talking heads on sports radio (which i listen to at work to get me through the day) would stop with the bullshit, i would be fine with it. but when that shitty ass sport that will NEVER EVER catch on in this country affects my daily life, thats when i get pissed!!

It's already caught on. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not popular. Look at the ratings. If it hadn't caught on, it wouldn't be airing for a month on ESPN.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: JamaicaJamaica
I hate it too e90, but it will catch on. Americans like being the best at shit. This world cup has given americans hope that the can field a competitive team. So there will be a solid soccer dick ride for the next long while. It wont usurp bball's or football. But it"ll be there.

And you know what, why the fuck not?? Its summer. All that's on right now is baseball, the only sport lazier than soccer.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:04 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Belgium is really good. It would be a pretty big accomplishment to beat them. And if they advance they get Argentina :shock: .

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:16 pm 

Cash on hand:

Band is right about the officiating that shit was awful but stars always get preferential treatment and Germany is loaded with them.

I'd like to see altidore back. I actually like zusi in there but he's had no success with corner kicks since the Ghana match. They haven't even been close. I'd rather they keep him in, but pick someone else for corners.

As far as Belgium I don't think they're much better than Portugal. USA can beat them, and Argentina but they can't do it by playing the way they played today. Weather and fatigue aside they can do a lot better.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:20 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

The World Cup is popular. Soccer as whole, is not. Every four years we go through this shit. It's the Olympics. People care. A lot. For a month. In an otherwise dead period of sports on TV. The same people that become swimming experts every four years the US has a chance to win a medal. Then it ends, and they immediately stop caring. Until the next one. Every single time.

Soccer will always be a niche sport. It's doing the same ratings the Olympic Hockey Finals did in 2010. Hockey is on the rise!

As for the current World Cup. US loses. Goes 1-1-1. Scores four total goals. Advances. There is no objective way to say this is a well run tournament.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:24 pm 

Cash on hand:

I love the world cup. Haven't missed one since 86. but I don't care enough about soccer to defend it. Still, I do think the sport is slowly rising in the states. I remember reading something about the average attendance for the MLS being greater than the NBA and NHL. Also more and more parents are having their kids play soccer instead of football because of the injuries and concussions associated with it. I hate to say it, but its true what they say about playing a sport: you appreciate it more. I don't think soccer is ever going to be that big, but I do think a lot of these kids are gonna grow up as soccer fans.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:29 pm 

Cash on hand:

As far as advancing with a 1-1-1 record, what would you do differently? 2 other teams finished with the same record but only one van advance.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Also more and more parents are having their kids play soccer instead of football because of the injuries and concussions associated with it.

Soccer has been a popular sport among youth my entire life, and probably before that since the 1970's. More kids played soccer than any other sport when I was kid. And the reason for this, anybody could play soccer. I don't mean this on the professional level, as it obviously takes a lot of skill. But as far as kids go, any kid can aimlessly chase a ball, which is all youth soccer is. On the other hand, not every kid can hit a fastball. Not every kid can reach the rim with a jumpshot. And not every kid is allowed to play football. So soccer on the youth level, tends to be made up of mostly unathletic misfit kids, who will be done with sports entirely by the time they hit their teens anyway, and there is a helluva lot more of them than future athletes.

Chuy wrote:
As far as advancing with a 1-1-1 record, what would you do differently? 2 other teams finished with the same record but only one van advance.

NCAA Bracket that shit from day one. Or just admit these first couple weeks are exhibitions, eliminate no one, and NCAA Bracket that shit on day ten instead. There is not nearly enough incentive to win these early games. A lot of these games look like two teams trying not to lose, not win.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 pm 

Cash on hand:

Right I agree with that. But I'm not saying the kids going to grow up to be players (though some will) , but fans. The mls is only slightly past its infant stage but they're trying to sign the foreign stars.

As far as the bracket, I don't know. I like the idea but it would suck for the weaker teams that qualified only to get eliminated in the first game, unlike the NCAA that gets an entire season to play and showcase. You could argue that's what the international friendlies are for, but most of the teams don't play their stars since their playing proffesionally somewhere else.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:04 pm 

Cash on hand:

ya mls attendance isn't that bad.

their are even some cities like Portland and Seattle where they sell out every game.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:06 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Chuy wrote:
Right I agree with that. But I'm not saying the kids going to grow up to be players (though some will) , but fans. The mls is only slightly past its infant stage but they're trying to sign the foreign stars.

As far as the bracket, I don't know. I like the idea but it would suck for the weaker teams that qualified only to get eliminated in the first game, unlike the NCAA that gets an entire season to play and showcase. You could argue that's what the international friendlies are for, but most of the teams don't play their stars since their playing proffesionally somewhere else.

Two generations (at least) of soccer kids who are adults now, plus the current generation of kids, and the MLS Championship games are drawing record low television ratings. 700K watched the last one. More people are paying 70 bucks to watch "dead" boxing pay per views.

This isn't charity. It's competition. Fuck the weaker teams.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:18 pm 

Cash on hand:

single elimination from the start is a horrible idea.

once every 4 years half the teams in the world cup would play 1 game.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:30 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Watching them play for a draw three times in a row instead is a good idea?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 pm 

Cash on hand:

Shit ain't gonna happen over night. There's only 19 teams (I think). I'll bet the those numbers will be up the next mls championship.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Sports Discussion