Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off Topic

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:04 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: RussiaRussia
http://news.yahoo.com/u-grounds-entire- ... nance.html

What a fucking disaster this venture has been. 60 Minutes did a couple of shows about this debacle and now it has come to a screeching halt. If you're wondering what the story is about, it's about the U.S. government spending almost $400 billion on 97 jet fighter planes that basically suck ass.

An interesting post I copy and pasted below from one of the Yahoo commenters that I thought was worth re-posting.

"Our country’s best kept secret is hidden in plain sight. We don’t see it because we don’t want to admit to ourselves that our country is the world’s number one exporter of death and destruction. Eisenhower warned that "an immense military establishment and a large arms industry" had emerged as a hidden force in US politics and that Americans "must not fail to comprehend its grave implications". The coalition of corporations, lobbyists, politicians, government agencies that Eisenhower called the “military-industrial complex,” has not only acquired “unwarranted influence,” it owns and controls our economy. The defense industry no longer serves our military; our military serves the defense industry, and the F-35 is just one example of a weapons system that was foisted upon the military by Congress and its defense industry campaign contributors. At least 20 million Americans are employed by the military-defense-government industry. Every good paying job creates five less well paying jobs. So approximately 120 million Americans jobs depend on the military-defense-government industry. Without it, our economy would implode. With it, we must endure perpetual wars, interventions, “police” actions, and "enemies", with perpetual loss of privacy, life, and taxpayer dollars for perpetual profits and jobs. There's no way to stop the war machine until it bankrupts our country. It happened to that other military-industrial power, the USSR, and it will happen here when the U.S. dollar loses its privilege as the world's reserve currency."

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: JamaicaJamaica
The F35 is just a clusterfuck of an aircraft. It wasnt purposely designed to be a clusterfuck to suckle all that money, it simply became that because they made a very awful aircraft, and were too proud and stubborn to cut their losses when it made the most sense to.

They've been trying to pawn it off on militaries worldwide, and nobody seems to want it.

Serious waste of money, tech, and resources.

While the russians and the chinese have been working on next gen aircrafts with advanced thrust vectoring, and have advanced their own anti stealth technology. America is not that far ahead in the game, they might possibly be behind.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:04 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

The F35 is just a clusterfuck of an aircraft. It wasnt purposely designed to be a clusterfuck to suckle all that money, it simply became that because they made a very awful aircraft, and were too proud and stubborn to cut their losses when it made the most sense to.

They've been trying to pawn it off on militaries worldwide, and nobody seems to want it.

While the russians and the chinese have been working on next gen aircrafts with advanced thrust vectoring, and have advanced their own anti stealth technology. America is not that far ahead in the game, they might possibly be behind.

The Yahoo comments sure are interesting. You can learn a lot by reading them. Real-time education in a way.

Jermz, what kind of engineering do you do again? And, just out of curiosity, could you design an airplane?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Bank:

The Yahoo comments sure are interesting. You can learn a lot by reading them. Real-time education in a way.

Jermz, what kind of engineering do you do again? And, just out of curiosity, could you design an airplane?

Software and Systems engineering. I could help design the systems inside. But actually design from scratch, would be a doozie. Commercial? Possibly. Military? Doubtful.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:15 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Again, since I am completely left-brained, is designing an airplane pretty much all math dependent? Physics, algebra, geometry...what else? Finite math? I don't even really know what finite math is.

Is it true that if an outlying grommet on an airplane is bad, it can completely destroy an airplane once it is up in the sky?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Again, since I am completely left-brained, is designing an airplane pretty much all math dependent? Physics, algebra, geometry...what else? Finite math? I don't even really know what finite math is.

Is it true that if an outlying grommet on an airplane is bad, it can completely destroy an airplane once it is up in the sky?

All math, physics, and chemistry.

break it down further, algebra, geometry, calculus, finite math, material science, hydraulic systems, theromodynamics, aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, mechanical, computer, electrical, and a bunch of other shit I probably cant think of right now.

It stands to reason that it would. The force of air produced by the airplace flying at the speeds that it does combined with the sheering forces of the air it encounters while climbing up and down in altitude, all those forces basically attack the integrity of anything that is loose or damaged.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:04 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

break it down further, algebra, geometry, calculus, finite math, material science, hydraulic systems, theromodynamics, aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, mechanical, computer, electrical, and a bunch of other shit I probably cant think of right now.

It stands to reason that it would. The force of air produced by the airplace flying at the speeds that it does combined with the sheering forces of the air it encounters while climbing up and down in altitude, all those forces basically attack the integrity of anything that is loose or damaged.

Crazy to think that one little grommet can break a plan apart. I only asked that because I vaguely remember a plane that had this exact problem and it came apart in the sky essentially. Can't remember the exact outcome of the event but I seem to recall that they found out it was one single grommet on the plane that was bad. And that just blew my mind. One of the reasons I don't like to fly. lol

I get thermodynamics in my pants when I see a juicy ass. :asskiss:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Crazy to think that one little grommet can break a plan apart. I only asked that because I vaguely remember a plane that had this exact problem and it came apart in the sky essentially. Can't remember the exact outcome of the event but I seem to recall that they found out it was one single grommet on the plane that was bad. And that just blew my mind. One of the reasons I don't like to fly. lol

I get thermodynamics in my pants when I see a juicy ass. :asskiss:

Ewwww :rofl:

I'm actually just as paranoid about flying. Ignorant people like to point to stats and talk about how much more safer it is to Fly than to drive and all that other shit.

As Band said before, stats dont account for the human element, nor all these little things that can go wrong and disintegrate an aircraft, same things that are virtually impossibly to check everytime a place lands on the tarmac.

It's probably why I'll stay in the aviation part of engineering for the rest of my life, it'll never be short of business because it'll always need improvement.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:03 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: United States of AmericaUnited States of America
These stupid planes were never intended in the true sense to defend shit. Their purpose was only one fucking thing: tax the people and fill pockets to stinking filthy rich levels. And yes, the IMC is the economy along with medical shit. God damn boondoggles like this are all last signs of a coming decline of an empire. Nothing anymore is based on common sense, but rather mythologized to create fear through the fucking TV telling people what to think (when, where, and how).

Now be mad because of this waste.
its nothing.
money is funny.
completely contrived.
why make us mad at this when its a sympotom of a larger looming problem largely ignored because to address it would to say, "Its all a lie."

:oops:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:16 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

I'm actually just as paranoid about flying. Ignorant people like to point to stats and talk about how much more safer it is to Fly than to drive and all that other shit.

As Band said before, stats dont account for the human element, nor all these little things that can go wrong and disintegrate an aircraft, same things that are virtually impossibly to check everytime a place lands on the tarmac.

It's probably why I'll stay in the aviation part of engineering for the rest of my life, it'll never be short of business because it'll always need improvement.

Oh...I didn't know you worked in the aviation field to begin with. You work for an aviation company?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:09 am 
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Oh...I didn't know you worked in the aviation field to begin with. You work for an aviation company?

Aerospace would be more accurate. Apparently "Aviation" covers a bunch of shit that I don't really fuck with.

Board index » Off Topic