Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off Topic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:41 pm 

Cash on hand:

You might be on point with the wierd injury, I think it just means I need to slow down which absolutely sucks.
My upper back right now is fucked up.
Those numbers are crazy, and I'm trying to get to that type of stamina by mixing it up with long rides vs short rides with plenty bursts.
You're right, it doesn't get easier, the stronger you get the more you push until you feel it. What keeps me going is seeing the results just get better and better. Shit is addictive.
What did you place in the race?

How I feel after failing the Anis test

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:29 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: United States of AmericaUnited States of America
I think 23rd out of 380. I let the front group go too far and didn't have enough people to chase them down. A good pack could have chased them down. No hills either or I would have a chance to make up a lot of time. Those big boys can lay down power but can't get up hills like leaner/smaller riders. That's all about watts/kg and the steeper the more it matters.

I've got some good numbers, but its in perspective. Some dudes I know can put out 400W for an hour and they are only about 20 pounds heavier

My man Larry who rides a Peloton did his FTP yesterday. He is in his mid 60's about 150 lbs. FTP 281 and finished 68th out of a few thousand in the Peloton session. Peloton only measures raw watts and not watts/kg or take hills into account assuming everything is flat (I think but maybe not). He and I are neck and neck on the long climbs around here over 12minutes. But on the short stuff I got him dead to rights. We torture each other during segs on Strava to best the other just so the other dude has to go back and try. HE knows iI'm a sprinter and wheelsucker and losses 15-20sec in the last min when I blow out the nitrous. Dude is amazing though. He once went out on a day with the wind blowing 30mph on a seg just so he could beat my time. Dude has about a dozen bikes from 1,000 to 12000 bucks a piece

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:53 pm 

Cash on hand:

Monster shit.
I'm really sore today but I stretched some and jumped on to knock out a quick 20 minute Tabata class.
Brutal shit, but my back was fine and no worse for wear.
If I feel good tonight I'll bang out a soft recover session just to stretch it out a bit.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:55 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

The weird thing is there have been days I've felt broken and uncomfortable in any position. I get on the bike and its the most relaxing position and can imagine and don't feel a single pain.

That 400W is a world-class power. 350 at my lean weight is about the same. I got it as high as 299W which is over 4W/kg The advantages come from some people being able to draft and put out 1000+Watts when those dudes who can put out 400W for an hour can't do over 700W and cant accelerate. A lot of strategies come into play with resource/fuel management. I'm lucky to be a sprinter but its a curse also. I can blow up if I get too excited and put in a hard effort. I'm better not doing that being older and wiser now. :D

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:24 am 

Cash on hand:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20210221-164641_Peloton.jpg
Screenshot_20210221-164641_Peloton.jpg [ 182.17 KiB | Viewed 8967 times ]
Here we go V
I did a one hour run today.
I'm finding that my personal records are getting hard to beat, which is great, because it'd going to force me into getting into real conditioning.
I am finding the need to take recovery rides, and I'm not going more than 10 consecutive days without a day off, as a matter of fact I didn't rideasr night because I had a streak of 10 days, so I forced myself to not ride.
I came back with a one hour ride today, but tomorrow l will go half an hour with no intention of breaking any PR, but just to get the legs loosened up and get a good sweat in.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:35 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Yea, back when you started I think I said you'd see your best progression for 8-12 weeks and then it will flatten out. You will continue to improve but it will get harder and harder, but you won't if you don't rest. It the hardest thing to do once you get hooked.

You should do whatever fits you mentally until physically you see it isn't working. I rest 1 to 2 days/wk, but i follow a TSS (training stress score) closely so I can see by a very close measure how tired I should be...and its pretty damn accurate tracking with my power.

For the last 2-3 weeks, I've done what I said I'd do. I'm hitting V02 and threshold work in an honest attempt 2 days/wk. The rest of the time is low endurance stuff. It's called polarized training. It works for me. I'll throw in 1 ride and a 75-80% long effort. It's best to space the hard stuff with some time in between. Time on bike is about 10-12 hours, 200-230 miles, and 12,000-15,000 ft of vertical climbing. 85% of the riding is low endurance which just feels like spinning easy at 50-65% of my FTp. Tonight I pushed the system for 50min over 285Watts and had jet fuel to burn blowing out 500Watts in the last minute without blowing up. I rarely ride to any maximum effort, but keep edjing whatever my goal is higher with shorter durations multiple times just to get used to the mental part.

The other part is this: once i get to where I am now its only a matter of time edging higher and higher starting competitive races, I'll eventually blow up and start going backward. It just happens once you overload it. Then, it's typical to take a full week off. Once you come back, you'll have digressed some, but it comes back quickly and will get higher than it was before if you don't take too much time off and do training that works. Believe it or not, a shit ton of this is mental discipline. That is, not to ride hard, and when you do....HAMMER it over and over.

Don't let the classes on Peloton wreck you. Try this just one time. Ride 3days in a row at 100-130watts for an hour. It probably won't feel hard and you will barely sweat. Day 4 do a quick HIIT session with some sprints at 350 for 10-20 sec no more than a dozen. Day 5 I think you beat any PR at whatever time you want to shoot for.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:12 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

uhhhhhh....I had a bad one tonight Truth. I think I've got to ditch the late PM rides. I'm starting to notice they don't go as well as morning and afternoon rides. I think I've always thought it but its never been so clear.

I thought I might throw up. My whole damn body went numb and my arms were even tingling. It doesn't always fire just right.

Maybe its just the insane amount of shoveling lately. :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:04 pm 

Cash on hand:

uhhhhhh....I had a bad one tonight Truth. I think I've got to ditch the late PM rides. I'm starting to notice they don't go as well as morning and afternoon rides. I think I've always thought it but its never been so clear.

I thought I might throw up. My whole damn body went numb and my arms were even tingling. It doesn't always fire just right.

Maybe its just the insane amount of shoveling lately. :lol:

What a beautiful feeling :rofl:
I've been doing a day off every ten days, and in those ten days I'm breaking it up to 5 all our effort rides, 3 moderate effort rides and two recovery rides.
Yo... After busting out a crazy 20 minute HIIT ride on Thursday in which I broke my Personal Record for that time, I went with the 60 minute course last night with the intentions of obliterating that mark and what happened at about the 35 minute mark is exactly everything you just described :lol:
I'm talking tingly sensation all over bro, felt out of balance, I really do a good job of managing my water intake while I'm riding, man I fucking destroyed a water bottle in 2 seconds.
I held on for the hour but fell well short of my Personal best, still managed to rack up over 20 miles and well over 900 calaries when it was over, but I got off that bike a new man. I think my girl must have asked me "You OK", a dozen times :lol:
I'm doing a 30 minute moderate today.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:34 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Great stuff. 900 calories/hr is a tremendous workload.

Personal bests get harder and harder to top. Ironically, to get them, you have to do work at less than the power it will take to beat your PR's and you have to pick your spots. I watched a few Peloton workouts are they look fun as fuck. There were very energetic people running the show. Good music and beats to get you going.

I'm just about cooked...well done...spent...running on empty. I'm ending the hardest week I've had in a very very long time. In the last 3 days...and over the last 3 weeks... I've been driving it to an overload state so I can rest, rebuild, and come back stronger. The last 3 days I've ridden 7hrs...125miles....15,000 vertical ft...with an ave power of 240Watts for 7hrs over 3 days. I did a race tonight on Zwift called the Haute Route and knew at the end after 1hr49min I am ready to rest. Easy long spin tomorrow and then off for some days. Im still a little nauseous. The beginning of the week was short but hard too with VO2 work.

I got a question about Peloton...How does their leaderboard work? Is it just a straight function of Watts or Watts/kg or lbs, or speed?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:41 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

btw bro...If I were your coach I'd have you reverse some of that all-out effort stuff. 2 or 3 of them....5 moderate....2 recoveries easy spin. :lol: 10 days is a long time to ride all in a row too unless you are just turning over the pedals easy. Most don't ride more than 4-6 days in a row. Gotta rest it to repair...that heart too!

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:12 am 

Cash on hand:

Great stuff. 900 calories/hr is a tremendous workload.

Personal bests get harder and harder to top. Ironically, to get them, you have to do work at less than the power it will take to beat your PR's and you have to pick your spots. I watched a few Peloton workouts are they look fun as fuck. There were very energetic people running the show. Good music and beats to get you going.

I'm just about cooked...well done...spent...running on empty. I'm ending the hardest week I've had in a very very long time. In the last 3 days...and over the last 3 weeks... I've been driving it to an overload state so I can rest, rebuild, and come back stronger. The last 3 days I've ridden 7hrs...125miles....15,000 vertical ft...with an ave power of 240Watts for 7hrs over 3 days. I did a race tonight on Zwift called the Haute Route and knew at the end after 1hr49min I am ready to rest. Easy long spin tomorrow and then off for some days. Im still a little nauseous. The beginning of the week was short but hard too with VO2 work.

I got a question about Peloton...How does their leaderboard work? Is it just a straight function of Watts or Watts/kg or lbs, or speed?

It's amazing. I'll tell you what V, I've been active all my life but every since my first surgery 2011 it's been a challenge to make sure I sustain enough cardio to be in shape, not to mention the challenges of being instructed to not lift so heavy, which is a true challenge because I really, really enjoy lifting.
I conquered the lifting restrictions by getting the bowflex revolution, and enjoying workouts that are focused on reps, my step son really enjoys it also, it forced me to enforce getting in a real good workout without having to worry about the numbers game, which in return equals strength... And better Conditioning..
The running outside satisfied my need for cardio, but it got boring once I moved from NY to NJ..
This Peleton has rejuvenated the shit out of me. The amount of cardio I'm getting, is ridiculous.
To answer your question, the leader board is based on pure Output who's is based on Cadence and Resistance... Not really 100 prevent accurate since different weights and gender would play a part on it, but a really good indicator if you want to compete with the folks on the bike.
It's fun... I have a team of 20 people, 5 of them have purchased the bike and are on riding, Peleton should make me a partner lol
I read your note below and I'm with you bro..
I'm feeling my PRs are more distance these days, and I do need to rest more. The problem is that you get stronger, and it's only natural for you to want to push more, but I'll tell you last night ride hit me so I laughed when I read your note, I was completely spent. I love the feing though, it confirms I'm working which I love.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:47 am 

Cash on hand:

National Flag: CanadaCanada
ya motivating me to get back into my Wii Fit Training and Wii Sports. :rofl:

i got a bad back though, ever since Covid. not sure if its one of those post Covid things going on. but ive pretty much gone from light/moderate natural workouts at home and walks/light jogging outside to absolutely zero of any of that. still maintaining my 165-170 lb limit though.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

:lol: I see they got this mirror getting some attention telling you what to do. I guess it might work for some, but this trend is going to get hella stupid in the next decades as if the infomercial fitness nonsense and Suzzane Summers fuck muscle exercise craze wasn't silly enough. Tech is just going to dress it up to make it appear better. But for most who just want to be healthy...just fucking move...lift some shit....walk up the damn stairs...go get groceries without a car. That's another thing I crack at...

A MILF goes running an hour a day in her pink tights (God bless her), but wouldn't even consider leaving the Escalade at home and jogging her ass to the store to get some shit.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:05 pm 

Cash on hand:

:lol: I see they got this mirror getting some attention telling you what to do. I guess it might work for some, but this trend is going to get hella stupid in the next decades as if the infomercial fitness nonsense and Suzzane Summers fuck muscle exercise craze wasn't silly enough. Tech is just going to dress it up to make it appear better. But for most who just want to be healthy...just fucking move...lift some shit....walk up the damn stairs...go get groceries without a car. That's another thing I crack at...

A MILF goes running an hour a day in her pink tights (God bless her), but wouldn't even consider leaving the Escalade at home and jogging her ass to the store to get some shit.

:rofl:
That mirror shit is funny.
Look up the bowflex revolution V.. I've had it for three years and I absolutely love it. Just did chest and butterflies today, the resistance really gives you a good muscle stretch. My step son is hooked and his skinny ass is getting cut on that shit.
It's just a means of having some sort of machinery to work on, and having it accessible, it's in my basement, I have no excuse not to use it. It's pretty good. So I've thrown the Peleton right in front of it, and I have my gym, alone with the planking and ab workouts, we do work on it.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:59 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

:lol: Beleive this shit. I've got the original Bowflex with every gah damn attachment from decades ago. 25years maybe. Ill use it once in a while but haven't this year. I had the original Soloflex too (work of art but not functionally great except for weight-bearing exercises and abs). The new stuff is much better without question. But they will do if I want to really isolate a muscle group. I came up into free weights, but the long-term effects, if you get on them heavy, it literally wears your shit out. Just look at old bodybuilders and powerlifters. Can't fucking walk like Ronny Coleman among hundreds of oldheads. And I got into them heavy because I just couldn't help it. It's part of the reason I think cycling saved my body back in the 90's.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:03 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

So I took a rest recovery week Turth and only rode light at 50-60% of my FTP this week. Yesterday,I did a fair race effort in a 2Hr event putting out 1,766kJ (I think that is how Peloton measures their leaderboard...not sure). I didn't have to dig deep but it was a consistent semi-high pace.

Today I got on it for a hard 20min effort in another race event and set a new PR. 301Watts for 20min weighed on the back end because the hill was only 9min long and before that we were just jockeying for position going up to the climb. It was a MTB race (mountain bikes...wtf...i didn't expect that). After the hill, I just cruised in knowing that was enough work and it was mostly downhill. The 301 could have been 10-15 higher I think with a good carrot to chase. Its really hard for me to set PRS because I've ridden so much so I'm happy to see it.

btw...I watched a Peloton workout with about a dozen athletes on ESPN. I know what the numbers mean and they don't translate into being fast on a bike. They are just output. A 350lbs fit dude will win 99percent of the time on the leader board but a 150lbs fit dude would kick his ass 100% of the time in a bike race. I don't understand why they'd measure it that way because it would be very discouraging to female riders. I wouldn't put much stock into the leaderboard is what i'm saying. ITs just personal bests you should shoot to kill ignoring what others do in the context Peloton uses the numbers.

Attachments:
aso.jpg
aso.jpg [ 41.57 KiB | Viewed 8826 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:37 am 

Cash on hand:

Hey V, agree 100%, I as a matter of fact last night I took an encore type ride which is an on demand ride but has live riders, there were only 8 of us and I beat the field by over 100 output points but there was only one other guy on the ride which means I beat mostly women. Like you said, I'm able to ride with more resistance which drives the output higher, so I really just focus on my own numbers and improving those.
I've been on an absolute tear but my rest time has come. I'm taking the next few days off.

My legs got numb last night as I walked up the stairs, and I've been off the past few days, tingly shit also on my left toe and my girl is bugging the fuck out ans she was screaming at me last night :rofl:

I get it though, with my medical history I can't over do it so I promised her I wouldnt jump on that shit starting today for the next few days. The numbness shit was awkward as fuck, I had just finished that half an hour ride and really didn't push too hard, but hard enough to destroy those bitches that were on the ride, and one other dude lol.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:25 pm 

Cash on hand:

V.
Don't you give up on me. Not now.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:13 pm 

Cash on hand:

Still Going on this.
Tour de France 2025

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:27 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

I know you got this....its a personal journey.
I'm still going strong, but I'm on the heavy side of where I can climb well.
I've got extra output to help. I might be at the pure fittest I've been.
I've put in some super efforts short and long.
I'll probably trim down once I get outside on the regular.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:07 am 

Cash on hand:

I know you got this....its a personal journey.
I'm still going strong, but I'm on the heavy side of where I can climb well.
I've got extra output to help. I might be at the pure fittest I've been.
I've put in some super efforts short and long.
I'll probably trim down once I get outside on the regular.

I can't smash my personal records anymore, as a matter of fact I haven't eclipsed one of those on weeks.
I'm not doing it everyday anymore, more like every other day, but I'm loving the sweat and burn and I'm a tall dude who's never had thick legs man and my girl told me just a few hours ago, damn your legs are getting diesel :rofl:

Are you familiar with the Tabata courses V? Not sure if that's a Peleton terminology or a rider one?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:45 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Yea...Tabata intervals are a thing.
They vary in time, but they are short. Like 10sec on 10sec off x 6 with a rest period say 5-10min.
The length and reps and rest is really just what is good for you.
FOr me, they work well. It allows me to edge the higher output without stressing my heart but it also gets your body used to clear lactic acid. I do them until my heart rate gets to about 170 and then rest the heart back down to a baseline. Over time you'll start to recover faster.

I knew the day would come the PRs would get hard to beat. I think I guessed about 12-16 weeks. If you want to beat them it takes some planning, hard work, and REST. The rest can't be too long or it disappears quickly.

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: RussiaRussia
Peloton staying getting people mangled

https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-Rele ... -of-Injury

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:29 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Different Peloton. Not Truth's.

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:26 am 

Cash on hand:

I got like 7 different text messages about this since I'm the Peleton guy, but yea man treadmills all over give off thus type of risk, Mike Tyson lost a child to a fucking treadmill. Fucked up shit indeed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Off Topic