Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off Topic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:24 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: United States of AmericaUnited States of America
How you doing Truith?
I hope the Peloton is still getting some work.
Its an evolution after a while..
...meaning I hope you took my advice and rode some easy long times. :lol:
chasing high outputs super really and often will burn you up. :P

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:25 pm 

Cash on hand:

Hey V, I still haven't missed a day since I got it on Nov. 2nd.
Im breaking personal bests weekly, I also managed to average 100 output per 10 minutes on a 45 minute HIIT class to bring in 450.
The Tabata courses are really difficult, but I love them. I get off that bike pretty much out of it, but it feels great.
I'm having trouble mixing in light days, but I will, it's difficult not to go after your personal best though.

How I feel after failing the Anis test

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:11 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

yo man...you should miss a day or two.
especially with those intervals.
not a big deal, but you'll get stronger with the rest days.
You can ride every day a long ass time if you keep it low.
It's super common though...I did the same thing and most do starting out.
You just want to do it.

You figure out yet what your 20min max steady output is yet?

Tabata intervals are a staple for me outside. All kinds of variations...I like blocks of 20 sec on at almost full power sprint...20 sec off...repeat 6-12 times. On long rides I'll get going with a set then soft pedal and repeat every hour or 45 min.

Good to see you are still at it.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:32 pm 

Cash on hand:

yo man...you should miss a day or two.
especially with those intervals.
not a big deal, but you'll get stronger with the rest days.
You can ride every day a long ass time if you keep it low.
It's super common though...I did the same thing and most do starting out.
You just want to do it.

You figure out yet what your 20min max steady output is yet?

Tabata intervals are a staple for me outside. All kinds of variations...I like blocks of 20 sec on at almost full power sprint...20 sec off...repeat 6-12 times. On long rides I'll get going with a set then soft pedal and repeat every hour or 45 min.

Good to see you are still at it.

I haven't done that test you said, don't even want to right now, I have to get stronger and the Tabata rides which are 20 seconds on full spring, 10 seconds off for 8 cycles leaves me completely spent, I need more stamina.
So I've drilled in on trying to average 100 output per 10 minutes, which allows me to beat my personal records. I've done it with 20 minute sessions reaching outputs as high as 221, 30 minute I've went as high as 316 and I nailed 450 on the dot on a 45 minute session.
I won't try to bang out 600 on a 60 minute joint until I get a few more 450s in the 45 minute class.
My legs hurt, but it's not unbearable, once I miss that first day, I will be able to incorporate more rest days, but for now I'm keeping the steak alive hopefully until the end of the year. Let's see.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:18 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

I'm telling your brother...this is different than you think.
There will get to a point after 12 weeks you are going to go backward hitting whatever peak you reach.
Stronger here means better oxygen utilization, not muscle.
Stronger heart and more lung function....its shit you can't see or hardly feel by a quick measure.
To do that you have to ride easy...ie...approx 50-60% of that 20min number I want you to get.
The hard stuff comes later.
I know its the opposite of what it seems...nearly everyone does it though.

here is my ride yesterday. I'm amping my output a little after a few 150W-170W long rides at a steady state. I ONLY do intervals 2 times a week...3 at most. Remember, I can ride so much harder than this but it won't make me better doing it too often (i.e 300 Watts for 20 min...350 Watts for 7min..my peak power is 700W for 1 min and 3 sec bursts are over 1000Watts+. Zen man....fucking Zen. Calm the mind...slow down most like you are charging a battery then explode every so often. :D

Attachments:
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.12.11-18_11_27.jpg
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.12.11-18_11_27.jpg [ 51.2 KiB | Viewed 13848 times ]
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.12.11-18_01_22.jpg
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.12.11-18_01_22.jpg [ 53.46 KiB | Viewed 13848 times ]
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.12.11-18_04_44.jpg
screenshot-www.strava.com-2020.12.11-18_04_44.jpg [ 45.97 KiB | Viewed 13848 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:17 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Where you at with your Peloton Truth?
I'm ampin' it up a little a going at it harder in spots.
The last 3 months I've really scaled back to rest up with only 20-25hrs/month.
January Ill get to 40-50hr/mo but I think that mindset will be hard for a while...
Ill have to do 2 a days...1 morning and then evening.

Here's a zone breakdown of my harder ride yesterday.
YOu'll understand these numbers now by looking at the time and output in watts. :lol:
This is almost 22mph solo with 1800ft of hills.

Attachments:
harder.jpg
harder.jpg [ 50.62 KiB | Viewed 13764 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:09 pm 

Cash on hand:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20210103-110526_Peloton.jpg
Screenshot_20210103-110526_Peloton.jpg [ 406 KiB | Viewed 13752 times ]
I'm still doing it every day, still trying to best my personal best per session every time. I have taken a few recovery rides, on days where I'm spent.
This is my best output since I got the bike, it was a 45 minute class. I'm mixing the classes up, so there are some where the rides are heavy, others where we focus a lot on speed intervals. Even the recovery rides I've taken for 20 minute let me get a good sweat in.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:10 pm 

Cash on hand:

My weak area right now is getting out of the saddle and maintaining a good cadence, I can go out of the saddle whe and the resistance gets thick, but I struggle if I have to go out of the saddle let's say for a few minutes and keep a strong cadence, my legs start to fucking burn, so that's what I'm focusing on now, I'm making sure I get up a few times so my legs can get used to that push.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

I know those instructors keep on about the cadence but the scientific fact is that the only cadence that matters is the one that is comfortable to you at any given time. Spin classes harp on the cadence but it and its alright to change it up for different reasons, but depending on the kind of output you are shooting for your cadence should be the one that seems right. Spinning fast can save muscle fuel for hard efforts at some point. Beginners usually spin too slow and quickly find it doesn't work.

Out of the saddle, work burns because it's less efficient and uses more muscles. It's not that you shouldn't get out of the saddle, but it allows you to stretch and get blood flow to rest to the hard-work in parts that grinds out in the seated position. The larger your upper body and bigger you are it makes out of the saddle even less efficient. IF you had an HR monitor you'd see the same output in watts with a heart rate spike over a longer timed effort.

You are definitely getting stronger.

It's good those classes are motivating. But they might at some point will hold you back when you start to plateau. When you do, take my advice and rest...spin really easy for a long time...and then you'll break through and kill your personal bests.

Do a FTP test too. :lol: It's time if you can bear it. Without it there is no way to know the real training load stress and how overtrained or undertrained you are. The FTP part of the real holy grail of it all. Higher FTP scores allow you high outputs at all ranges.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:05 pm 

Cash on hand:

I want to get one, just gonna pay off a couple things first. Did you buy it outright Truth? Im thinking bout doing that, i think its around 2k. Or how much you paying a month?

My name is Ice, and I want to sincerely apologize to Matthew Stafford for all of the irrational, unfair, and quite frankly stupid comments I have made about him in the past. Stafford is elite. Stafford is clutch. Stafford is a winner. Stafford is, forever, a Super Bowl Champion. I know this now.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: JamaicaJamaica
Ya these assholes is making me legit feel like im missing out.

-The Everlast Hydrostrike 150
-A decent level Marcy Smith Machine home gym (https://www.marcypro.com/marcy-smith-ma ... m-md-9010g)
-A rower (already got the bitch)
-And the Peleton

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:02 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

If you already got a bike you can spend a quarter of what the Peloton costs and you don't need a monthly 30 buck subscription. Zwift costs 15/no and I even think that is too high for what it is techwise. Zwift is a virtual place where you can race, do structured workouts, freeride, etc. Rouvy is another good one with a real video of places all across the world.

There are some other setup costs of you don't have a laptop/pc or ipad(what I use) and with that you need a connection to a usb port called a dongle that tells the trainer what resistance to give.

Peloton is a cool rig and everything is made simple. Is a good product of you got the coin. For me, it would just never work because of the bike itself and the position. Wahoo makes a fully adjustable smart bike that can mimic any bike geometry for the same money as the Peloton. You can even get attachments that tilt the bike when you are going uphill and a fan that blows appropriately for speed. Lol.

Is kind of a cool ass experience riding vr on a 60 screen with the music banging.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:13 pm 

Cash on hand:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20210104-221115_Peloton.jpg
Screenshot_20210104-221115_Peloton.jpg [ 291.88 KiB | Viewed 13697 times ]
So I took last night off.. I had to, the amount of alcohol and good I absorbed from Thursday through Saturday was absurd.
Tonight I had my best output, but it all comes down to my medical history, and the lactid acid shit is no joke and it's motherfucking nerve racking. I've decided tomorrow I'm doing half an hour, but it'll be an active recovery ride. Here's the graph for today...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:39 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Yea man...take those rest days and your outputs will get even higher.
That lactic acid is real...but hear me out on this one.

If you look at my rides they are fairly steady--by design especially on an inside trainer.
Repeated HIIT workouts, in the beginning, will still get you some improvement, but you shouldn't do them often. They will stunt your progress for whatever it matters. Your body doesn't know how to process it and you don't know at what point latic acid starts to accumulate to the point you can't sustain the output. That point is what the fTp talk is all about. You are going over your FTP and into what is referred to as VO2 and neuromuscular work. That work should only be about 15% of your total work or 1 to 2 days per week. The rest of the time you should ride below your FTP steady or long intervals below the FTP sometimes referred to as tempo or SSt (sweet spot training). Below those zones are endurance work 50-65% of whatever your FTP watts might be.

You won't think its doing anything coming from doing these repeated HiiT workouts or thinking of the strength aspect of it. But its not about strength. Its about teaching your body to process the lactic acid and to use fat or a lower percentage of glycogen as fuel. In the end, it will make your output get much higher and you can ride longer. The idea is to edge your system earn to process the lactic acid so it doesn't accumulate without overwelming the body too often Too often and your body can't keep up without rest.

id think too, especially, because of the med history, lower intensity work would be safer and more productive at this point. Also, the health aspect goes downhill and you are more likely to get sick, tired, or some other bad overtraining effect.

Check out this workout from yesterday. Mt Ventoux in France. Its a 12.5 mountain with a continuous 5000ft of vertical climbing. It's an insane famous climb during the Tour de France. Done steady at tempo below my threshold.

Attachments:
ven222.jpg
ven222.jpg [ 45.4 KiB | Viewed 13686 times ]
ven22.jpg
ven22.jpg [ 55.63 KiB | Viewed 13686 times ]
ven2.jpg
ven2.jpg [ 29.08 KiB | Viewed 13686 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:50 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

The other thing too. I can put out 1000+ watts peak output but if I tried to do that every day or more than a couple of days a week my FTP and low sustainable output will go down as well as feeling that I can't turn over the pedals even at lower outputs comfortably.

Doing the lower intensity work will make everything at the high end higher and more sustainable. Think of it like boxers hitting the bag at 50% over and over and over. It also builds the base/foundation so that you can do high-intensity work.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:44 pm 

Cash on hand:

The other thing too. I can put out 1000+ watts peak output but if I tried to do that every day or more than a couple of days a week my FTP and low sustainable output will go down as well as feeling that I can't turn over the pedals even at lower outputs comfortably.

Doing the lower intensity work will make everything at the high end higher and more sustainable. Think of it like boxers hitting the bag at 50% over and over and over. It also builds the base/foundation so that you can do high-intensity work.

Yea I hear you, I am going to scale it back, if only because I'm enjoying the ride if not only simply for the cardio and getting the sweat in, I took yesterday off as well, and I'm about to jump on it now but for a 30 minute steady ride. I'm going to pace myself more frequently, and I did weights today so on those day definitely going to tone it done.

Where you get your stats from V?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Its a good idea.
i'll tell you another thing 1 know as a fact.
AS motivating as those classes might be for people, they fuck as much people up by making them work too hard or making them think this thing has to be sweat and tears.

It doesn't. I'd do some "just you" rides to take the pressure off to perform and just use the unit without a person telling you what to do. Ride at 120watts and watch a movie. I'm just guessing.

I did my first race of the year last night on Zwift. LIke I said, I'm about to start putting in some time and I've been working up to some intensity with this solid base I got and I think I'm rested.

The race was a first in a series called the Tour de Zwift. Some race it and some don't but 1100 people were on the line during my starting time. It was flat and only 14 miles and I planned on just doing 1 good lap to get a good look at a 15min power profile but I went the full 2 laps at a steady pace just hanging on the front to not get dropped from the draft. I had to go into VO2 territory to hang on up some inclines but it was easier the second lap mainly because people got tired I think. :lol:I was pretty pleased at the end and didn't even sprint for the finish and just crossed with the bunch. I knew I didn't have a prayer because it was flat and i need a hill to drop the big men. I think I finished 29th.

I'll post the stats. Look at the average speed and this will tell you how fucking fast a bunch of hammers can move down the road together.

Attachments:
tourdeZ.jpg
tourdeZ.jpg [ 63.45 KiB | Viewed 13654 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:20 pm 

Cash on hand:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20210110-180523_Peloton.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-180523_Peloton.jpg [ 180.55 KiB | Viewed 13635 times ]

So V, I did my first 60 minute course. A power zone ride to get me acclimated with that FTP, FPT, man the instructor mentioned it about a million times.
This shit felt good, I didn't die on the bike like when I do my HIIT courses, but came out of feeling like I got a real good workout in and most importantly, besides a little discomfort in the bike that I would counter with 30 second quick out of the saddle periods, I got through it really comfortable.
After a few of these courses, and getting close to all my power zones, I'll take that test. These are the stats of my first one hour ride :

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:39 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

An hour is a good time to ride for and getting into it that far will build endurance not just for the long haul but for hard short effort as well.

The FTP test, no matter if it is the ramp, 20min test, or variations on 6-8min multiple max efforts will give you the number you need to know. The FTP should be the basis of power for the duration when you are riding. Endurance pace is 50-65% of FTp, tempo 65-80% of FTP, sometimes referred of SST or sweet spot training 80-90% FTP, threshold pace 90-100% FTP, VO2 100-150% FTP, and neuromuscular 150+% FTP. There are slight variants of these %'s depending on where its coming from but the numbers a close enough.

Tour de Zwift round 2 in about an hour...getting ready. :cool:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:29 pm 

Cash on hand:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20210117-142621_Peloton.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-142621_Peloton.jpg [ 312.28 KiB | Viewed 13573 times ]

Back to back 1 hour courses, over 900 calaries with overall output 640+. Tomorrow I'll do a 30 minute low impact ride to stretch the legs.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:29 pm 

Cash on hand:

Nobody knows what the fuck yall talking bout lol

My name is Ice, and I want to sincerely apologize to Matthew Stafford for all of the irrational, unfair, and quite frankly stupid comments I have made about him in the past. Stafford is elite. Stafford is clutch. Stafford is a winner. Stafford is, forever, a Super Bowl Champion. I know this now.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:31 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

:lol: Yea, but we know. :lol:

Check it Truth...Ive doubled my time the last 2 week.
This week was 197miles...ave speed 18.3mph
...but here is the crazy part.....16,900ft of vertical climbing

I entered a race 2 days ago on a mountain course with about 60 riders.
The climb was 26min long and blew apart the group.
1 dude was crazy little was blasted away and got 2 min on me by the top.
I thought the group would lead me back to him by the bottom using the draft but they got 3 min behind me and never caught up.
By the end of the descent, he only had 20sec on me with 4miles to the finish. I was closing on him fast but he did some crazy-ass power thing and put 20more sec on me aonnd a short climb 3 miles from the finish...seemed like he was just playing me.
I finished 2nd....the winner was from Australia. Its the closest I've come to winning a race on Zwift.
That race fucking hurt. 1hr 1min 2300 of vert 20miles exactly.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:22 pm 

Cash on hand:

That's insane V, are they testing, the Australian dude sound like he was in that juice :lol:
Crazy shit though.
I'm just happy I was able to do back to back one hour classes, never envisioned being able to ride a fucking bike that long with the intervals and hills involved. Only other time I rode that long was when I biked it to Coney Island, most brutal physical experience, exercise related, in my life..
I remember getting to coney with my boys, and us just looking at eachother knowing we just had done something real stupid. 5 dollars to our name, 4 Gatorades later, we were on our way back to the block, I really didn't think we would make it.

A few years ago I did ride from upper Manhattan to Brooklyn, and that took me quite a while, but I was stopping along the way.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:43 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Youll be amazed how easy and fast you'll be when you do get outside.
It makes the whole experience not so torturous. :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:14 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

So Truth, you yanked the back out?
That sucks. Sneezing no less. I remember back when I was mending from my crushed vertebrae damn near crying a thinging of dying from a sneeze. You don't realize how much shit goes into that sneeze. I've chipped a tooth sneezing. The front tooth got stuck behind the bottom. First time for everything. But I shit you not, when I sneeze, I try to relax.

Right on with the weight loss. You probably can't get on the PEloton. If you aren't laid up for long it will be a good rest. That's the other thing with overtraining/working too hard. People tend to get grumpy, sick, and injured in weird-ass ways. Not saying that is what happened, nut I know you like to go hard.

Speaking of hard--I put out some of my best power a few days ago. Averaged 284watts for 38min in a race. I could have been higher but I only gassed it at the last 5 min with the other time just sitting on wheels drafting. Im starting to hit those high zones holding 350-400watts for 3-5min. It hurts but I've got the base now to repeat those efforts. The pain isn't the same as it would have been a month ago. I'd been gasping for air. Legs are getting ripped.

Hope you heal up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Off Topic